woensdag 17 april 2013

After the IPv6 launch, I had a chat with some people about "what is next?" We already had an IPv6 World Day in 2011, a World Launch in 2012 so the only logical question is; what can we do in 2013?
Most ISPs, content providers, data centers and even governments are busy. At least with looking into IPv6. So lets make this the year of the End User!

It is 2013 and still, my cable provider can't provide me with IPv6 connectivity. They also can't tell me when they will! From others I hear that the "last mile" is still a big issue. There are no "eyeballs"
This screams for an experiment :-)

Here is the scenario:
-I live with my soon-to-be husband in a small town near Amsterdam. I am an IPv6 trainer and Ben is a Network Engineer at an ISP.

-The only provider that can deliver native IPv6 in our region is XS4all. The only product available to our house is ADSL. As we are quite far from the DSLAM, the maximum speed we can get is 3Mbps.
This is a bit unfortunate.

-We have a lot of home automation or domotics. Our lights, heating, webcams, coffee machine, media setup all work in some automated way. We have smartphones and apps to control these devices.

The question is: In 2013, what can you do with IPv6 in your house? Does my printer still work? My IP webcam? The app for my heating system, well, you get the idea :-)

I will keep you posted on how we are doing.
Just for the record: We will keep our IPv4 connection for now, we also need to work from home sometimes.....

1 opmerking:

  1. Naast XS4ALL doet Solcon ook native IPv6 op DSL! Alleen hun marketing-afdeling moet nog even bijgeschoold worden zo te zien :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen